This week is National Library Week, and the theme is “Libraries Transform.” How has the McAllen Public Library transformed you? Perhaps you learned English with our free English classes, or got a voter registration card. Perhaps you signed up for health insurance, or received free tax assistance. Or perhaps you improved your computer skills that you needed to find a job. Maybe you found a book that helped you change something big in your life, or found something new that opened your eyes and inspired you to learn more about a subject. Or perhaps it’s where you go to escape the daily grind and find new books, movies, and music to enjoy. Maybe you even made new friends at one of our craft programs or book club. The possibilities are endless! How has the McAllen Public Library transformed you? Let us know in the comments!
All of this is available to you completely for free with a library card, and now it’s even easier to find out what’s going on in the library and what we have. You can download our MPL Digital app (Android here and Apple here) on your smartphone or tablet, and have all of our resources at your fingertips. You can check our library catalog, ask us a question, see our calendar of events, reserve a study room, check out an Overdrive e-book (if you also have the OverDrive app), and more! To find out how to get a library card, visit our Borrowing page.
If you’re ready for a little bit of a life transformation right now, we have some e-books available through the OverDrive app that you might find inspiring.
- America the Anxious: How to Calm Down, Stop Worrying, and Find Happiness by Ruth Whippman
- Modern Mindfulness by Rohan Gunatillake
- The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking
- Adulting: How to Become a Grown-up in 468 Easy(ish) Steps by Kelly Williams Brown
- Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans
- Grit by Angela Duckworth
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
- Spark Joy by Marie Kondo
- Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely by Lysa TerKeurst
- The Mayo Clinic Guide to Stress-Free Living by Amit Sood
- And finally, the one that has been the most popular of all: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson