Come on by your favorite MPL location and enjoy the latest selection of books, Blu-ray’s and DVD’s recommended by our dedicated staff!
October Staff Recommendations
- Robert B. Parker’s Little White Lies, by Ace Atkins. [Palm View Branch] “Boston PI Spenser and right hand man Hawk follow a con man’s trail of smoke and mirrors in the latest entry of the iconic crime series.” ~John D.
- Practical Magic, by Alice Hoffman. [Main Library] “A charming story about magic and sisterly love between two women as different as day and night.” ~Alison
- It: A Novel, by Stephen King. [Palm View Branch] “The thrilling novel IT was written in 1986 by The King of Horror and is now a major motion. This story will take you on a journey through the quaint town of Derry, Maine where fear, suspense and the macabre lurks around every corner. Not recommended for children or those prone to nightmares.” ~Rolando
- The Tiger’s Wife, by Tea Obreht. [Main Library] “A fascinating layered narrative with a beautiful outlook on life.” ~Alison
- True Grit, by Charles Portis. [Main Library] “U.S. Marshall Rooster Cogburn is hired by a 14-year-old girl to kill the man who murdered her father and stole the family nest egg. She accepts the help of a Texas Ranger, who is intent on the reward, and accompanies them on the quest.” ~Gabriel
- Las mujers matan mejor, by Omar Nieto. [Main Library] “Con un despiadado ritmo y sin concesiones este narrativo deja entrever que el narcotráfico no es – y tal vez nunca ha sido-un fenómeno únicamente norteño y mucho menos exclusivo de los hombres.” ~Ema
- Un cuento oscuro, by Naomi Novik. [Main Library] “Un bosque corrupto. Un mago misterioso y solitario. Una joven cuyo poder lo cambiará todo…” ~Ema
- Skinnytaste fast and slow Knockout Quick-Fix and Slow Cooker Recipes, by Gina Homolka. [Electronic Branch] “Satisfying family friendly recipes that are healthy and simple to prepare.” ~Erin
Young Adult Fiction
- Anna Dressed in Blood, by Kendare Blake. [Palm View Branch] “Cas is a ghost hunter who is facing the most deadly ghost of his career.” ~Helen
- The Girl From the Well, by Rin Chupeco. [Palm View Branch] “The story of The Ring from the point of view of the ghost.” ~Helen
- Rot & Ruin, by Jonathan Maberry. [Palm View Branch] “A post-apocalyptic, zombie novel from the point of view of teenagers that were born into a reality where whacking Zoms for cash is just another job. Throughout the novel readers will experience an blend of lighthearted comedy and heart-racing fear.” ~Rolando
Young Adult Nonfiction
- Ghosts of the Rio Grande Valley, by David Bowles. [Main Library] “This book about local paranormal folklore is perfect for this season!” ~Priscilla
- Famous Trials, by Joan Lock. [Lark Branch] “It is a good overview of some famous trials.” ~Sean
- Cause & Effect: The American Revolution, by Hal Marcovitz. [Lark Branch] “It is concise and well organized.” ~Sean
Children’s Easy Books
- On the Plane, by Carron Brown. [Palm View Branch] “I love to travel.” ~Maria O.
- The Tailypo, by Joanna Galdone. [Main Library] “An excellent spooky story for Halloween, best told with a black furry puppet crawling up the storyteller’s back. Tailypo tailypo, I’m coming to get my tailypo~!” ~Heather
- The Christmas Fox, by Anik McGrory. [Palm View Branch] “An interesting story for the Christmas nativity explanation.” ~Joanna B.
- Children’s Fiction
- El otoño, by Aaron Carr. [Palm View Branch] “It is educational to show children about the seasons.” ~Joanna B.
- Thor : The Dark World, by Tomas Palacios. [Palm View Branch] “Do you know Thor?” ~Maria O.
- Coraline, by Neil Gaiman. [Main Library] “A good story for a young reader in search for a few scares on Halloween.” ~Robert B.
- We the kids : the preamble to the Constitution of the United States, by David Catrow. [Palm View Branch] “A fun way to learn about the constitution; plus the dog is up to something in EVERY illustration.” ~John D.
- How to Soccer, by Alexander Cox. [Lark Branch] “It is a nice concise book about playing soccer for children.” ~Sean
- The Shining, directed by Stanley Kubrick. [Main Library] “A classic film of suspense and horror that slowly builds up to an exciting conclusion.” ~Robert B.
- Ghost lab pursuit of the paranormal, by Discovery. [Main Library] “Follow Brad and Barry Klinge, founders of Everyday Paranormal, on a paranormal investigative journey!” ~Priscilla
- Wait Till Helen Comes: A Ghost Story, by Mary Downing Hahn. [Main Library] “A perfect listen for a spooky evening.” ~Erin