Come on by your favorite MPL location and enjoy the latest selection of books, CD’s and DVD’s recommended by our dedicated staff!
February Staff Recommendations
- The Japanese Lover, by Isabel Allende. [Main Library] “Every human life is beautiful and complex. Welcome to the life of Alma Belasco.” ~Beverly
- A Knight in Shining Armor, by Jude Deveraux [Lark Branch] “A great love story.” ~Marianela
- Richard Bolitho, Midshipman, by Alexander Kent. [Main Library] “A short book, but it serves as a good introduction to the genre of historical naval fiction.” ~Robert B.
- The Gunslinger, by Stephen King. [Palm View Branch] “Book one of The Dark Tower series, Roland of Gilead, the gunslinger takes a journey across his desolate world. Compelled to chasing the man in black and locating the Dark Tower, Roland’s journey is full of good and evil. Now a major motion picture.” ~Rolando
- Animal Farm, by George Orwell [Palm View Branch] “A great read.” ~Marianela
- Hannah’s Journey, by Anna Schmidt [Main Library] “Ever tried an Amish romance? These bonnet rippers are both sweet and scandalous! Give this a read if you’re curious, if only for the novelty.” ~Heather
Young Adult Fiction
- Rebel of the Sands, by Alwyn Hamilton. [Palm View Branch] “In book one of the Rebels of the Sand trilogy, Amani Al’Hiza desperately seeks a new life away from her desert hometown of Dustwalk, where she meets Jin, a foreigner and rebel of the Sultan. Her encounter leads to many adventures and twists along the way. An excellent read for children and teens.” ~Rolando
- Liar, by Justine Larbalestier. [Main Library] “A story so entangled with truths and lies that once it straightens out, the line is taut and chilling and you will close the book open-mouthed.” ~Alison
Young Adult Graphic Novels
- Seed of Destruction, by Michael Mignola. [Main Library] “Like its film counterpart, this comic book mixes pulp with elegance to tell a strange and engaging tale.” ~Alison
Children’s Easy Books
- The Year of the Dog, by Oliver Chin. [Palm View Branch] “This book introduces the twelve animals from the Chinese lunar calendar.” ~Maria O.
- Do Unto Otters, by Laurie Keller. [Palm View Branch] “A PUN-ishingly funny book about good manners.” ~John D.
- I Will Love You Forever, by Tatsuya Miyanishi. [Palm View Branch] “I recommend it for those who need a story about adoption.” ~Joanna B.
- Words and Your Heart, by Kate Jane Neal. [Palm View Branch] “Some words can do amazing things and make us happy.” ~Maria O.
- Forever After, by Susan Amerikaner. [Palm View Branch] “A deluxe book of Princess Cinderella, Belle, Tiana, and Rapunzel’s big wedding days. A perfect valentine’s day story for those of all ages.” ~Joanna B.
- John’s Secret Dreams, by Doreen Rappaport. [Lark Branch] “John Lennon lived by the belief of peace and love, which I live by as well. I feel this book is a great book for the month of February since it is the month of love and black history month.” ~Diana C.
- A Promise of Fire: , by Amanda Bouchet. [Electronic Branch] “This is a really great fantasy romance adventure novel, set in an alternate version of ancient Greece. Great for any fans of fantasy, romance, or historical fiction.” ~Julia
- 13 Little Blue Envelopes, by Maureen Johnson. [Electronic Branch] “It’s a very interesting book to read if you have never traveled before.” ~Joanna A.
- Grey, Fifty Shades of Grey as Told by Christian, by E.L. James. [Electronic Branch] “You understand him better because you get his side of the story.” ~Joanna A.
- If Someone Says You Complete Me, Run , by Whoopi Goldberg. [Lark Branch] “I think she has some interesting thoughts about relationships.” ~Sean
- Essential Origami, by Steve Biddle. [Lark Branch] “This is a fun step by step origami book!” ~Gabriel
- Dominican Republic, by Christopher P. Baker. [Lark Branch] “It is a nice travel guide. It has a nice design/layout.” ~Sean
- Argentina, by Wayne Bernhardson. [Lark Branch] “It is a good travel guide and has really nice color photos.” ~Sean
- Can’t Get Enough, by Barry White. [Main Library] “Let Barry put you in the mood for love with this classic album.” ~Erin
- I’m In the Mood For Love, by Kenny G. [Palm View Branch] “Let Kenny G’s mesmerizing melodies connect you and your special someone. <3” ~Amy
- Time, Love & Tenderness, by Michael Bolton. [Main Library] “Play this album to find out what could happen When a Man Loves a Woman.” ~Liz
- Before Sunrise, directed by Richard Linklater. [Main Library] “A romantic movie for anyone who thinks they don’t like romance.” ~Erin
- Unstoppable, directed by Tony Scott. [Palm View Branch] “Not sure whether to blame the script writers or the director for the wicked sense of humor embedded in this movie, but either way, it’s a great ride!” ~John D.
- What If, by Michael Dowse. [Lark Branch] “A true modern romance with sweet and quirky moments.” ~Amy
- Rick and Morty: Season 1, by Justin Roiland / Dan Harmon. [Palm View Branch] “An adult animated comedy of a crazy scientist named Rick Sanchez who travels to different universes sometimes involving his grandchildren Morty and Summer.” ~Veronica
- Rick and Morty: Season 2, by Justin Roiland / Dan Harmon. [Palm View Branch] “An adult animated comedy of a crazy scientist named Rick Sanchez who travels to different universes sometimes involving his grandchildren Morty and Summer.” ~Veronica